Saturday, September 15, 2007

Why I Am Running

Welcome to the Iain Abernathy for Congress web journal!

I am running for the the US House of Representatives (Illinois 8th district) under the Moderate Party banner. The Moderate Party platform has two planks:

  • Peaceful Security
  • Open Democracy
Over the campaign season I will explain my take on those two ideas, and also give my opinion on various issues of the day. Post a comment to tell me what issues are important to you; I look forward to learning about the daily concerns of those living in the Illinois 8th district.

The reason I am running is that the two major parties, the Democrats and Republicans, have attempted a hostile takeover of the United States and are failing to deliver on the promises of our Constitution. We are supposed to be a democratic nation, yet the vast majority of Americans feel completely disconnected from their elected officials. We can't be a true democracy unless we reconnect and take responsibility for our own governance. I want to be a part of that.

The Moderate Party is a perfect springboard for the re-emergence of our democracy. With Bill Scheurer leading the charge, many people put together a fantastic effort to get on the ballot and secure established party status. This is no small feat! The two parties in Springfield set overly restrictive ballot access rules in place, all in an attempt to prevent Illinois citizens from feeling like they can take part in the government without becoming a Republican or Democrat.

I don't believe that any party, with a long list of vague positions, can truly represent anyone. That's why we need to open up the system to allow everyone a voice, and multiple parties that can work together to deliver those voices. This can be accomplished through various methods, including: instant runoff voting, abolishing the electoral college, decreasing the size of Congressional districts, and many more. I will discuss those ideas here in the future. Again, please post a comment with your ideas and concerns.

A little about myself - I was born in Alabama and have also lived in Scotland and Guam. I moved to the Illinois 8th (Zion) in March of 1999. I now live in Round Lake Beach. By profession I am a benefits analyst, specializing in pension plans. I have two wonderful young sons, Gabriel and Malcolm, that help me keep my perspective. They attend elementary school and pre-school in the Round Lake area. One of my goals in life is to help them grow up as active citizens in a truly democratic United States of America.

I have enjoyed living in northern Illinois these past eight+ years, meeting new people with a huge variety of ideas on how to make our country better. I love summer, but I have to admit that spring and fall here are astoundingly beautiful seasons. From the dunes by Lake Michigan, to the farmland in the west, and the vibrant villages, towns and cities all over the district, there's no end of things to do and see all year long.

I will be expanding on the web journal in the near future, adding a website that will make it easier for you to explore my ideas and learn more about democracy. I look forward to hearing from you!